Prenatal/Postpartum Breastfeeding Consultations
60-minute prenatal consultation, 90-minute or more postpartum consultation (within 4 days of birth) - $200.00
These private visits are for mothers (and their partners) who have a predisposed possibility of lactation difficulty or have a history of difficulties breastfeeding in the past.
What Takes Place at a Prenatal/Postpartum In-Home Consultation?
During the Prenatal Appointment:
- Possible breastfeeding challenges will be discussed and the mother will receive a personalized Plan for Successful Breastfeeding.
During the Postpartum Appointment:
- Baby's suck is evaluated for strength and range of motion
- Breastfeeding position and latch are assessed
- Baby is weighed before and after the feeding to see how much breastmilk was transferred
- Mom and baby are given a customized Plan of Care
- Mom receives a follow-up phone call/email within 48 hours
- This consultation may take place in the hospital or in the home, after hospital or birth center discharge.
Some insurance policies will cover the cost of a lactation consultation; all consultations will include paperwork to file with your insurance company and a report sent to your primary care provider(s).
Some issues that indicate a prenatal/postpartum consultation :
- Previous difficulties breastfeeding
- Previous child with severe jaundice
- History of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Maternal diabetes and/or gestational diabetes
- Maternal history of infertility
- Inverted nipples